Thursday, February 17, 2011

Concerning the Home

Chris and I have been talking a lot about home design in recent months and it's come to a point where I really have to start deciding what my style is!! I don't know how to describe what I'm looking for....maybe rustic? You know I love a good log cabin. :)

What I like:

I like old things. Call them vintage or antique or even new things made to look old, I love them. Give me peeling paint over a waxed finish any day!

I like midmod patterns for drapes, pillows and furniture.

I like a whitewash finish for furniture.

I like cozy, cluttered and lived-in vs. clean lines and minimalism.

I love bright colors. I love orange, turquoise and teal, yellow and red. Chris doesn't though...

I like crystal door knobs and cabinet/drawer pulls.

I like the contrast of rustic and modern in the same space.

I like wallpaper. A lot. Which is unfortunate since we're in a rental.



Those are the only things I know for sure. I'm going to be posting a lot more of my inspirations in coming weeks and, while it may seem a bit schizo at first, hopefully it will all be a lot more flowing and consistent by the time we're ready to make purchases.

___________________________________

I could make an entire post all about kitchens but, since we're in a rental and it would only be torturous to fawn over what we can't change, I'll start in the dining room. I want a white table for sure. I noticed a lot of designers putting dark brown chairs with the whitewash tables and I like the idea of some contrast, but I think I'd really like to have turquoise chairs or something like that.










Another thing I always wanted was a window frame mirror. I want to hang one on the wall opposite the table:





I want to hang pictures and frames on the wall right next to the table. I think. Our clock is there at the moment, but I saw this at Tilman's Roadhouse on my bday and had never seen it done so randomly before. Very cool. :)




(mirror collage is cool too!)

I WILL own the Michael Aram twig cutlery set one day. Mark my words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment on my entries whether you have an account or not! You can just choose the "Name/URL" option from the drop-down menu, type in your name or email address and get to commenting! :)